Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day -7



Good morning everyone. Well I am here at Baylor Medical of Dallas in the lovely Collins Building, Floor 4, Room 428. I am a lucky girl in that I got the biggest room here in the bone marrow/stem cell transplant ward. It will come in handy next week when my parents are in town and of course Kevin visits too. For now I am going it alone during the days and Kevin is visiting when he can. The chemo that I start today at 10am is not supposed to be too bad. I may be a bit tired but that is about it till transplant.


So I was admitted yesterday after I had my central line put in. As you can see from the picture it is in my neck this time and has three connectors sticking out from it. That way one line gives me fluids, one line is to draw blood and one line is to give chemo. It keeps it all nice and sterile and seperate. They can have all those things going in at once instead of one at a time which is what happened when I had just the one line in my arm. That got pulled out on Monday. Didnt even feel it. Now I felt the central line go in but the worst part was actually getting the numbing meds so they could cut into me and stitch me up. Crazy I know.


But anyway today I am getting chemo drug BCNU. It is supposed to be housed in alcohol so I maybe drunk by the end of it. Should be fun to be buzzed in a hospital right? And for those who dont know today is day negative 7. The way they date you around here is the first day you have chemo you start out negative. I have 6 days of chemo, one day of rest, and then on day zero I get transplanted. So after the transplant the days will turn positive. Makes sense I guess. Its good to be positive.


So after I got my room Kevin and I moved me in. We decorated the windows and I will include that picture tomorrow. The window clings are so cute. Kevin put up all the pictures of my nephews and my niece as well as the picture of us. Its on the mini fridge right at the end of my bed so I just look ahead and see us and smile. I know it will help get me through all this that much easier. Right now I am just waiting on breakfast. Amazing how hungry I am after so little sleep. I woke up every two hours to either go to the bathroom (they pump me full of fluids until transplant) or to have my blood taken or to have my fluids changed, or get meds. But thankfully I was able to fall back to sleep easily.


Well breakfast is here. Talk to everyone tomorrow. I hope you all are doing good. Feel free to email me at ramahan2000@yahoo.com if you are bored.


love,

Roxanne
PS: I will be posting my blood work numbers for me to keep record of them.
WBC: 6900
HCT: 33.4
PLT: 185
TP: 80
ANC: 5520

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stay tough, Roxanne! Good to see you still have a great attitude and sense of humor. We will all be thinking of you at training this weekend and hoping to see you again soon. Please take care and let us know what we can do to help.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Roxanne. Marshall referred me to your site. I too, have Hodgkin's. I will think of you and keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this. He mentioned your SCT is tomorrow. I wish you the best in everything. I would love to hear from you when you're well enough and rested enough. Take care!